Math, Science and Action Sports
February 7, 2012
Dayton STEM School Presentation
We all know math and science are used everyday in the real world, but when we were in seventh grade, how much did we really think we were going to use it? That is exactly what teachers at the Dayton STEM School set out to prove to their students.
The students went through a Three week unit combining skills in math, shop, geometry and art to create Skate Ramps that they then presented to Ohio Dreams Staff at the end of the unit. Students discussed the STEM values they learned when building the ramps as well as the reasoning behind which ramps they chose to build and what theme they chose to decorate the ramps with.
In turn Ohio Dreams was asked to create a presentation on how Mathmatics and Science where used everyday in our business.
Students watched assorted videos, took notes and had discussion on the following topics:
Unique Mathmatics and Science used in the construction of Ohio Dreams
- Skate Park Ramps
- Asphalt Volume for BMX Track Berms
- Trajectory Equations for Ski and Slip N Fly hill and ramps into pool
- Air Volume for water Airation system
Mathmatics and Science used everyday at Ohio Dreams
- Training Techniques and Biomechanics for BMX Racing
- Accounting, Budgeting and Marketing Goals
- Ramp Renovations each spring
- PH balance of pool
- New Coaching Techniques
- Emerging Nutritional Facts
- New Science in regards to physical training for BMX Racing
Ohio Dreams wishes to than Mrs. McKnight and her Seventh Grade class for this great opportunity to be involved with the Dayton STEM School. We had a great time and can't wait for our next project!« Back to News